Saturday, August 21, 2010

28


-- Welcome to room B-204 --

Well two weeks down. 28 to go.

This week was one of my hardest weeks in Memphis. I was homesick and impatient and exhausted and overwhelmed. I felt down right needy.

That is a feeling I hate and I wanted to go away. And I wanted it to go away fast.

I fought this feeling as I sat in my Thursday night class. After a long week in the classroom and feeling like I have accomplished nothing with my students, we began talking about literacy. My class is called "Reading in the Content Area". If you are an educator, you have taken this class at one point or another. If you are an urban educator, you realize this could be one of the most important classes you will ever take.

One of my classmates Stu began asking our professor how to teach his 8th grade social studies students how to read and write. Why?

Because he is almost completely illiterate.

How do you make it to 8th grade and not know how to read and write? How do my 12th graders not know how to spell basic words? (and I mean BASIC).

If there is something that makes me angry this is it... this is way the system is so messed up. Teachers just let students slide by because they are too much of a problem and do not want to deal with them. And then they end up in 8th grade illiterate and 12th grade not being able to write a complete sentence.

My professor was giving us ideas on where to start. We literally had to go back and learn how to start from the beginning. Teaching our 8-12th graders patterns of reading and the alphabet.

As my professor was talking about all of this I sat there and all I could think of was a conversation I had just had with nephew the day before. He knows the ABC's. All of them. Every single one. Capitalized. Lower-Case.

He is 2.

It blows my mind how much of a difference it makes in what home-life you grow up in when it comes to your educational career.

I cannot make excuses for my students. No excuses. Have high expectations. There are NO EXCUSES for these students. If I let them slide, they will fall back into the exact same lifestyle they are trying to get out of.

Education and knowledge is the ONE thing no one can ever take away from them or you.

So 28 weeks to go.

I'm not saying that in a sense of a countdown. Trust me. 28 meaning, I have 28 weeks to push my students to mastery. To help them learn how to spell. To teach them how to write a good resume. To teach them how to give a good handshake. To love them. To serve them. To push them. To not make excuses. To not waste time.

28.

That's a small number, but a very capable one.


(Prayer Requests: patience, creativity, confidence, CONTENTMENT, passion, church family, small group, mentor, my students, room B-204, Whitehaven)








8 comments:

Marcia said...

So glad those students have you. I will pray for you. I love you. His grace is sufficient for you.

aunteem said...

Your students.....cool description that reads over and over again in your writing! 2 weeks and they are already Your students! Your first "kids" they will always have special meaning in your life. Faith without works....well it's dead. The struggles, the ups and downs, all bringing you to the throne. Wow......God is good.
Love you

grandmabutch said...

ERin, Erin , Erin......... I just know exactly what you are going through. You plan so much and then realize the kids are not getting it or don't care to get it. Now that is not an excuse for the kids! It is a challenge for you to continue to reach out to them. They are needy and really need a good teacher, which you are. God has put you there for a purpose, and He will give you the daily grace and strength you need. Maybe not a lot of extra, but enough to make it through the day and face a new day with renewal. Remember the joy of the Lord is our strength. Sure to give up and come home would be the easy, but don't let discouragments keep you down. Look Up!!!!!! How do you like my sermon? I understand. I will pray harder for you. So good to talk to you last night. Love you. Grandma Butch

aunteem said...

By the way....I love the art room! What a cool looking room to create in!

grandmabutch said...

I agree with your Mom. You have avery attractive classroom. I would like to be one of your students!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing. Teaching can be so frustrating, but also so rewarding. Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

oh erin. i love you. i love how much passion and effort you are already putting into these kids and you barely know them. i can't imagine how much you will be pouring into them a few months down the road when you really know them! they are SO blessed to have you teach them this year. keep that head up, and know that we are all here praying for you. be encouraged by that, and be encouraged by each kid that decides to come back to your class every day :)
I LOVE YOU!!!!!! (ps...i get to see you in 25 days!!!!!!!!!)

Positive Articles said...

Bringing You Positive Ideas For Self Growth And Success