Tuesday, July 05, 2011

"Who hates negativity and told I can't pass the test"

I am sitting and avoiding the massive amount of planning I have for the school year ahead, because it just seems like so much I do not even know where to start. Before I left Memphis I slide a few old student papers into my stack of work to serve as inspiration.

Can I tell you it worked?
(well minus the fact that I am blogging right now! I just had to share this)

I had my students write "I am" poems at the end of the semester this past year. Most likely if you have taught you have done this assignment at some point with your students. It's pretty common, but their words are not. The samples below are not their complete ones, just bits and pieces.

"I am Simme-Sosa...
Who needs to strive harder, continue education and apply myself more...
Who hates abuse and neglect of any extent...
Who fears God...
Who dreams of changing a massive number of lives, communities, and the world itself all over...
I am Simme-Sosa"

"I am Josalyn...
Who needs love and attention at all times...
Who hates negativity and told I can't pass the test...
Who fears being hated or disliked because of mess...
Who dreams of doing big things...
I am Josalyn"

"I am Denzel...
Who neesds excuses for not being the best...
Who loves the joy of accomplishment...
Who hates injustice and ignorance...
Who fears for the education of young African Americans...
Who dreams of changing the world of others one person at a time...
Who lives in Memphis and wouldn't change it for anything...
I am Denzel"

These are just a few of the many. What you read above are the words of 18 year olds who have been entrapped within a system that has passed them along and neglected their full potential since they entered when they were 5. And 12 years, later a week before they walk across they stage, they know it.

I wish you all could meet those three students. When you meet them you would see a young man who has more wisdom than he realizes in his large 6'4" frame. A young lady whose creativity is going to launch her into whatever career she pursues. And a young man who as overcome more adversity than I could ever think to go through, yet has been given a gift of joy that is so contagious you cannot help but smile when you are around him.

By HIS mercy I am given this ministry. By HIS mercy I get to teach. By HIS mercy I get the incredible opportunity to live in Memphis. Oh Jesus give me strength in my large amounts of weakness and never let me forget why I am going this. Increase my creativity as I work today please.

A good friend started Teach for America and had her first day in the classroom today. She text me this morning and said "Teaching today was...interesting. I'll explain later, but so great that the Lord reminded me in a brief and crazy morning why I'm doing this. These kids deserve better and are capable of so much! So so thankful that He was able to bring that back to life for me today by seeing kids. They're wonderful!!!!"

Mmm. Love her words. They are so true and ....
So good.

They are wonderful! :)

So.... I .......
Can't be sleepin' Can't be slumin' Why not? Why not? Cuz my kids be comin'!

Until next time...
E

2 comments:

aunteem said...

Mmm......it is all about the kids. Share with them kindness, firmness, hope and love.

grandmabutch said...

Your teaching is a mission - God sent- and God will help you. Discouraging days are ahead, but you will gain victory over them. Remember that God has given you this mission and He will not fail you. Kids need our love and support. I am praying for you daily. Teaching was a mission in life called by God to do so.