Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Water What?

Kellie bugged me to update so once again...I am avoiding the millions of things I have to do.

Chapel on Sunday was quite good for me. I got to worship with my peers and listen to teaching from one of my other classmates. His words really hit me in the face...lets see...like Jesus saying, "Knock, knock...you there? Ok fine since you don't seem to want to listen to me or open up the door I guess i will just come through and and throw a baseball in your face so you will pay attention" Now I am not saying Jesus is violent. But I wonder how many times he just wants to shakes us so we will come to some sense and listen. So the main point...

Matthew 14:22-32

So basically Jesus tells Peter to walk on some water right? I mean come on no big deal, the worst thing that would happen is he would drown. I think way too often I read this story as of course I would do it, I mean HELLO! It is Jesus, the son of the creator of the universe. Yeah I would trust him. But then I think of Peter, a lonely fisherman, someone who wasn't a rabbi in studying somewhere trying to be like the rabbi above him. He wasn't the best of the best right? So he fishes. I can't even imagine that, all day long, that smell...yuck! Ok, so there is a terrible storm. Check point two when I am like "Well if I jump in and I can't walk, I'll just swim right?" Could Peter swim? How wavy was it exactly? Are we talking a down pour or justa drizzle?
Basically what I am trying to convey is that we underestimate how bad the storm was and how hard it was for Peter to jump out. But....

He does it.
He walks.
Then he sinks.

Why?? Why the sinking? Because he lost his faith right? I mean that has to be the answer. But here is my main question...What did he exactly lose his faith in? I think our first response and the best sunday school answer would be Jesus. But (this is when Jesus just busted down my door because I didn't open it like a member of SWAT and made me listen) I don't think he lost his faith in Jesus. It says in verse 29 that Peter begins to sink and says "Save me, Lord!" Peter cries our to Jesus. He cries out to Jesus...to who? Jesus. For me I don't think I would cry out to someone I don't have faith in. So why did Peter do that if we think he lost his faith in Jesus?
Ready for it (and I didn't come up with this on my own...chapel...I'm telling you come to Sterling)
Peter lost faith in himself.

HIMSELF!!!!

For all the times people told him he wasn't good enough...he remembered that and began to sink. I don't think Peter thought he could do it.

Anyways, that was long...but meant a lot to me. I so many times feel like Peter. I know Jesus thinks I can, but I don't think I can...sounds corny but true. So where is my faith in myself? Not where it should be.

I need to shower...Bye...

(oh and melanie..I painted a lot today...I love paint. I just got to be free again, isn't it weird how paint does that?)

7 comments:

aunteem said...

Wow, when God reveals a truth to you it is a powerful thing. And when you choose to walk in obedience to that truth His Blessing is so evident.
Peter called out to Jesus, he knew He was the only one who could save him. He knew who to put his faith in. The other thing I have always noticed about that passage is Peter's eyes. I put that line in my response below. He took his eyes off Jesus and looked at the waves and became afraid. When we find ourselves afraid we have taken our eyes off Jesus. In his presence there can be no fear. We are human though and we will all slip and fall like Peter. And when we do and call out to Him he is right there to pick us up and help us keep our eyes on Him.
Wow....
"Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, "Lord, save me!"

Loving you

the fredin's said...

oh erin. my sister is so wise! :) im glad i talked you into updating. i will definitely remember your inspiring words. i guess not exactly yours. more Gods, but whatever ;)
love you!
kellie

Melisa said...

wow this and a xanga and facebook!!! How do you do it all??

Melanie-Pearl said...

Oh yeah, good stuffs here. Did your speaker suggest we should have more faith in ourselves when our faith with Christ is in place? or was it that we should always look at Christ and keep our eyes off ourselves alltogether? hmmm. Just wondering. I could see a new twist on this story if it's the first suggestion. Which did you think it meant?

I am jealous. I have not painted in a month or so. I am wrapping my hands around a few projects (a new shadowbox...I am searching for one piece in particular before I move on) so I'm not entirely deprived. Post some photos of what you are painting/sculpting PPPPUUUHHHHHLLLLEASE!!!

Melanie-Pearl said...

Oh yeah, good stuffs here. Did your speaker suggest we should have more faith in ourselves when our faith with Christ is in place? or was it that we should always look at Christ and keep our eyes off ourselves alltogether? hmmm. Just wondering. I could see a new twist on this story if it's the first suggestion. Which did you think it meant?

I am jealous. I have not painted in a month or so. I am wrapping my hands around a few projects (a new shadowbox...I am searching for one piece in particular before I move on) so I'm not entirely deprived. Post some photos of what you are painting/sculpting PPPPUUUHHHHHLLLLEASE!!!

the fredin's said...

its been official for a while that i miss you too :)

Anonymous said...

i concur to your post...it was a most excellent sermon...i really don't know what else to say, shocking i know me run out of things to say, who knew...anywho...bye
hillary